Thursday, December 9, 2010

60 Days of Beauty - Day 9, Song

9.  Song


Specifically, today is about song.  I will cover music another day, but I thought song should have it's own category, especially because of the way it stood out to me today.

Today was our Christmas chapel at school.  While not my favorite chapel, I still love it, especially this year.  Today a girl sang a song she wrote for a Bible project that was assigned to the entire junior class earlier in the year.  She is in my Bible class, so I had already heard it, but it shocked me to see the song affect me a second time.  She prefaced the song by saying she had tried to convey the way God romances us.  I don't have the exact lyrics, which is sad because it is such a beautiful song.  (EDIT:  The lyrics are now posted in a comment thanks to Darby and Liesl Bell!)

She talks about how she has always longed for someone who will take her in their arms and waltz with her across the dance floor, talking and laughing with her.  She slips into a ball late (for an unknown reason) and stands in the shadows with her eyes closed, hoping, wishing, and waiting.  She feels a tap on her shoulder and opens her eyes to see a man bowing to her, asking her to dance.  She then says that he romances her and dances her across the room.

Darby's voice is so beautiful, and the longing that is portrayed through her words and the inflection of her voice are striking.  Her mother played the piano as she sang, and the piano accompanied her perfectly.  It never detracted from Darby's singing, it only made it prettier.

Chapel today was beautiful.  Darby's song was beautiful.  The cans we donated to Faith Mission were beautiful.  Several of my best friends are leaving for the DR in 10 hours, and that is beautiful.

My day was just plain beautiful... except for the history project that I must do now... I'm not much of a history person.  Haha.

Have a beautiful day.  ^_^

2 comments:

Rhonda Schrock said...

I totally agree...'song' can be beautiful. And God seems to know when to send just the right one. So glad you were blessed!

Liesl Bell said...

Here you go, gentle writer...

I'm not a princess
I've never been fond of
Ruffles or ribbons or pretty pink clothes
I dream of a prince, but
I never get farther than dreaming
I'm always the one who's
Late to the ball
I slip in the back
And watch all the beautiful people
Dancing and swaying in perfect time
They just pass me by

I close my eyes
Imagine a prince who is dashing and handsome
And asks me to dance
We sway to the music
I look in his eyes and I'm beautiful
A touch on my shoulder
Wakes me from dreaming and
You're standing there
Gently you offer your hand
And a gentleman's bow
Trembling, I make my choice

Then you romance me
You dance me around and around
You're laughing
And hanging on my every word
I look in your eyes
And my heart stops its beating
When you say you love me
And that you delight in me
No matter what I may do
I'm hopelessly captured
By knowing I'm loved by you

And I am changed
And I belong
Every part of me wants to be more
for you,
King of all kings
You shattered my world
When you touched me
And called me beloved

-Darby Bell & Liesl Bell =)