Friday, March 25, 2011

Getting to say goodbye.

Let's say you have been given a month to live. What do you do in that time?

First, I would probably cry. I would cry because I would feel like I still had many things left to do, but then I would realize God knows what He is doing.


Next, I would start writing letters. I would write a letter to each person I love. My cousins, my parents, my friends, and the people I wish I had worked things out with. I wouldn't tell anyone about them. Each letter would be placed in an envelope, the name scrawled across the front, and then tossed into a box with the rest of them. 
Why would I do this? Well... I communicate through written language. I don't communicate well through spoken words very well. And I have hundreds of things I want people to know. I want people to know about hope and real love. I want people to know about freedom. 

The next thing I would do is write my story. All of it. From different angles, with different things emphasized. 

I would also continue to journal. I would fill up blank pages with what was going on, how I felt, and my prayers to the God who could heal me. 

A few days before my month was up, I would make sure someone had all my journals. I would tell that person to share them. I would tell them to share my story. The ugly parts. The pretty parts. 

But through everything else I would do, I would also spend time with people. And just talk. Just be. I would slow down, like I always meant to, and really get to know the people I love. I would ask for funny stories and sad stories. 

I would pray a heck of a lot, too. 

So, if you had a month left to live, what would you do? Who would you spend it with? Where would you go?

No comments: