Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Change

I wrote this today in Creative Writing. Most of the time, I hate poems, but this one was following a certain pattern.

I was a lost and angry sinner
I remember the loneliness and loud music
I heard "You need to get it together" "Clearly, you aren't a Christian"
I saw disappointment, tears, and failing tests, all because of me
I worried my parents thought I was crazy and were going to send me away with one more mistake
I thought no light could illuminate the darkness I saw.
But, I wanted to change
I was buried by secrets, lies, and shame
I thought no one could love me
I needed someone to take my hand, look me in the eye, and promise me hope was just behind the clouds
I forgave my parents for the misunderstandings and my peers for taunts and jokes.
Now I have changed
I still look for grace when my past looks like my future
I choose vulnerability and transparency instead of secrets and shame
I dream of a plain white house teaching freedom and healing with liberal doses of paint, fabric, and markers
I hope to offer others hope in Christ
I predict overflowing joy and a will to share stories
I know I have been redeemed
I have changed.

No comments: